Meeting minutes

Meeting details

  • Date: 2nd April 2019
  • Duration: 19:20 - 21:10
  • Location: Clanfield Memorial Hall - Blue Room


Meeting minutes:

32/19TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE RUNNING OF THE SPORTS AND COMMUNITY CENTRE FROM THE CHAIRMAN OF THE FOUNDATION – RICHARD GOODMAN

The Chairman welcomed Richard Goodman to the meeting and invited him to update the Council on the running of the Centre. Mr Goodman said that the Centre has now been open for five months and it is really busy. T here has been a very good uptake by Sports vendors and every weekday evening is booked. Eleven staff are employed, including part time and weekend staff. A party planner has been engaged who organizes activities such as sports parties, bouncy castle events etc. The menu in the café has been adjusted, bringing back hot meals and more home-made cakes. The Foundation has nine Trustees who offer a range of different skills. Future initiatives will include a focus on marketing, updating the Centre’s website and a special events programme is being developed. The Christmas Carol event was successful along with a Christmas Fair. Health and Wellbeing activities are to be included and the Trustees are also hoping to engage with the GP surgeries. The Foundation is running some of the sports sessions itself with netball, badminton (the most popular), and walking football doing really well. The first badminton tournament will be held during the coming weekend. A coffee morning is held each month. The Trustees and staff had learnt a great deal over the five months and they have received a lot of positive feedback. Membership will be ongoing, but about 1,500 people have already registered on the Centre’s system. Funding is being sought for outdoor tables and chairs. It is considered that this facility is a fantastic asset for the village.
The Chairman thanked Mr. Goodman for attending the meeting

33/19TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies from Cllr B. Foster

34/19TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

The Chairman and Cllr Bannell declared an interest as Directors/Trustees of Clanfield Sports and Community Foundation; Cllr D’este Hoare, Cllr Clarke and Cllr Hurst as South Lane Meadow Trustees; Cllr White as Chairman of the Patients Participation Group – these were all non pecuniary interests

35/19TO AGREE THE MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

The minutes of the meeting held on 5th March 2019 had been circulated. It was RESOLVED that they be duly signed as a correct record.

36/19TO OPEN THE MEETING TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO ALLOW THEM TO ADDRESS QUESTIONS TO THE PARISH COUNCILLORS

Meeting closed at 7.39 p.m.

Matters raised: Concern regarding the trees on the highway opposite the end of Hazel Grove. There was some uncertainty as to whose responsibility they are - Cllr Mocatta would ask HCC if they belong to them and contact would then be made with the Arboricultural Officer at EHDC to establish if any remedial tree work is required

Meeting reconvened 7.43 p.m.

37/19TO RECEIVE COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS MONTHLY REPORTS

County Councillor Mocatta and District Councillor Moon had no monthly reports as they had presented annual reports at the Annual Parish Meeting held prior to this meeting and had nothing further to add.

38/19TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE DOWN FARM BARN PROJECT

Cllr Clarke reported that Clanfield Parish Council finally took ownership of the Down Farm Barn site on
15th February and that the Council should be very proud of that achievement – she thanked Cllr Bannell for his efforts to achieve Parish ownership of the barn. The Council’s project team had a first site meeting with The Goddard Partnership, who are the Council’s appointed project managers and professional advisers, on 21st March. They had been very impressed with the barn and its potential. Plans will be drawn up over the next few months in preparation for the submission of a planning application for change of use later in the year. Initial steps to enhance the appearance of the site are being taken. Heras fencing has been removed and further debris will be cleared by the developer. It is understood that the developer has agreed to repair the entrance gates and a length of defective fencing on the southern boundary. Ongoing work to remove some stubborn ivy from areas of the walls and roof is being undertaken. Contractors will be required to remove heavier vegetation and one or two small trees that have grown very close to the building. An updated information leaflet is in the process of being prepared to reflect the happy change from 'save' to 'project plan'. It was suggested that there should be consultation with a representative from the SDNP – Cllr Mocatta offered to contact the local Conservation Officer on the Council’s behalf.

39/19TO CONSIDER THE WAY FORWARD WITH REGARDS TO THE BYELAW REVIEW inc. Dog Control Orders

Draft documents had been circulated to members following the last working group meeting – members were asked to submit any comments they have to Cllr Harris by the end of April and the draft revision of the Byelaws would be considered at the May meeting. The Transfer documents relating to the newly-acquired land and buildings would need to be reviewed to ensure that the Byelaws would be consistent with any restrictive covenants that the Council is obliged to observe. The two existing Byelaws for Peel Park and South Lane Meadow would be replaced by the new Byelaws in due course. Legislation regarding drones would be considered. There is a consultation process to follow and it was considered that in due course a meeting would be called and representatives of various groups would be invited to attend followed by full consultation with the village. It was suggested that contact should be made with EHDC and possibly other Councils to see if they could advise the Council on the process. It was noted that the introduction of new Byelaws would involve quite a lot of new signage.
During discussion following Cllr Harris’s report, it was considered that the Council should seek a quotation for the digital mapping of all its land and property ownerships so that this could be included on the website and, also, so that it can be used to inform and clarify any future Council projects. At a recent NALC Conference, the Chairman and Cllr Bannell had met representatives of a relatively local company that could provide this service. Cllr Bannell would contact them for a quotation.
With regards to the Dog Control Orders, the PSPO is currently being written with a Red, Amber, Green system following consultation with the EHDC Animal Welfare Officer.

40/19LAND AND COMMUNITY FACILITIES AT ST JAMES PLACE (DOWN FARM PARK):

To receive a report on the progress of the Phase 1 post-transfer works including the construction of the overflow car park
Cllr Bannell reported that all of the works arranged by the Parish Council had now been completed:

  • the overflow car park
  • the retaining wall
  • the additional land drainage
  • the construction of the equipment store
  • the ramp from the equipment store to the bowling green
  • the replacement front doors for the Sports Pavilion

and, as reported at the previous meeting, the power point on the side of the bowling green and the outside tap.
Compliments were extended to the Council’s contractor, M I Bone, who had carried out all of these works. There was one outstanding issue - completing the configuration of the CCTV system. This matter was being addressed by the installation company. The developers remedial works had not yet been completed – there were issues with the boiler, a glass window in the ladies toilets and flooring defects in both main changing rooms.

To receive an update on the arrangements with Clanfield Bowls and Sports Club
Cllr Bannell reported that the Bowls Club took occupation of the Sports Pavilion and the Bowling Green on 1st April and the Bowls Club would be holding membership registration days during the following week.

To receive an update on the proposed transfer of the Phase 2 area including the childrens play area and the allotments and also the Phase 3 area, comprising the sports pitches, to the Parish Council
A site meeting was due to be held on the following morning - Wednesday 3rd April - between Parish Council representatives, EHDC Officers and the developers to review compliance with planning requirements. It was agreed that CPC should not accept the Phase 2 transfer until planning compliance was satisfied. Failed landscape planting had to be addressed and a concern was raised as to whether there would be fencing around the childrens play area, the plans showed low ornamental hedging – this would be clarified.
It was noted that litter bins would be required for this open space – siting to be agreed in due course.

To consider the way forward with regards to the SJP allotments – tenancy agreements, rents, storage etc.
Cllr Harris reported that a working group meeting had been scheduled for 25th April to discuss the way forward with regards to the Allotments. It was considered that, in common with the allotments at Windmill View, these allotments would need to be let, initially, by the Parish Council. If the Allotment Association are to manage all the allotments in future, the terms of an Agreement as between the Parish Council and the Allotment Association would need to be negotiated and documented and any such arrangement would commence from the beginning of an allotment year. No decision on the SJP allotments could be made until 14th May due to the elections. Emma Barritt (Assistant Clerk / Open Spaces Officer) had started to contact people on the waiting list to see if they still required an allotment plot. Tenancy agreements would need to
be drawn up, based on the Windmill View allotments, rents agreed – these would need to be less than WV as
the plots are smaller. There were no facilities for storage – it had been previously thought that lockable
“chests” might be provided. There would be no toilet facility provided. The working group would submit a
report following their meeting.

41/19TO REVIEW THE SECURITY OF THE COUNCIL’S OPEN SPACES

In his absence, it was noted that Cllr Foster had submitted the following suggestion to Members:
“In view of the recent, and repeated traveller incidents I would like to propose that we get quotes for enclosing all of our 'at risk' open spaces with dragons teeth, with a view to investigating what grants are available and asking Council to consider and approve the necessary expenditure at the May meeting.” Following the travellers camping at the end of the old London Road, it was suggested that a joint agency meeting be held to discuss the best way to stop them gaining access to this area – which is HCC land – this would be arranged. There was still a section of hedge which required clearing of litter and fly-tipped items – this had been reported to EHDC.

42/19TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE REGARDING THE DOWN FARM PARK GARDENING CLUB

Cllr Bannell reported that the Gardening Club had commenced work. The first two sessions for the Landscape Maintenance group had involved litter picking and pruning and weeding. The next session on 7th April would involve removing plastic tree protectors on Management Company land. The club currently consists of 15- 20 very committed residents. A list of Basic Rules had been drawn up for the Club to move forward. These were considered and approved by the Council. The Rules included a requirement that there should be at least one Parish Councillor on the Steering Committee and any work on Parish Council land would be subject to prior written approval from the Parish Council. The Club would not cut hedges. There was concern regarding the hedge alongside the Chalton Lane west of the junction with Bilberry Avenue. Some remedial works had been carried out by the Council’s contractors – it was hoped that, in due course, that native species could be planted in the hedge line. There was concern raised with regards to newly planted trees being damaged at both Windmill View and St James Place and, also, it was thought that the developers were planting trees at St James Place which had died prior to planting.

43/19TO RECEIVE CORRESPONDENCE LIST

A letter from Blendworth Centre informing the Council that their hourly rate is increasing from £11.00 to £12.00 per hour – they average about 26 hours per month so would increase from around £286.00 per month to £312 per month (+ VAT) – agreed to continue to use them.
Proposed Streetwatch scheme in Clanfield; Notification of play area inspections due in May
Clanfield Memorial Hall – notification of new caretaker
EHAPTC meeting papers; Rural Communities Fund; Countryside Awards
SDNP newsletter and South Downs Design Awards notification; Parish Member appointments to the South Downs National Park Authority
EHDC - £1million available to local groups; New Premises Licence Application - Cardamom, 13 South Lane; EHDC Supporting Communities Fund application forms; Business rate reductions; Various election guidance/reminders. CPRE litter campaigns - deposit return scheme;
HCC – Notification of Carriageway works; HALC – new chief executive; Notification of Cycling Event – 9th June

44/19FINANCE

To receive the April financial statement - year end
The year end financial statement had been duly circulated to members showing a closing balance of £223,762.57. It was RESOLVED that the statement be accepted. The figures would now be completed in the correct format for internal and external Audit – which would be an intermediate one this year due to income and expenditure being in excess of £200,000.

To receive and agree Orders for Payment
Payments totalling £42,903.73 had been issued since the last meeting and payments totalling £49.190.32 were presented for payment. It was RESOLVED that all payments would be duly paid /accepted. Appendix attached to the minutes for members and Orders for Payment to the published minutes.

To agree to regular payments being made between meetings
There would be payments due before the next meeting, including Clerk and Assistant Clerks pay increase as precepted - it was RESOLVED that these be duly made.

To consider funding for equipment for the Clanfield Litter Picking Group
Cllr Thomas requested funding assistance for some additional litter picking equipment. There may be funding available from EHDC. She would submit a list of requirements to the Clerk who would make the relevant enquiries
At this point it was reported that the felt roof on the allotment storage building had come away after a recent storm, it has been made secure but will need replacing at a cost of £150 – AGREED

45/19TO RECEIVE REPORTS ON PARISH OPEN SPACES/ PROPERTY:

Peel Park: Play Equipment – quotes One quote had been received for repairs to some of the play equipment: £3905 + VAT – a second quote was being sought; the removal of the moss on the play surfaces would be undertaken before Easter Holidays
Sunderton Meadow Nothing to report
South Lane Meadow The Scouts Car Boot Sale is scheduled for this coming Sunday and the Fun Fair will be in the Meadow next week. The Trustees AGM will be held on 21st May.
Pond One of the light section was hanging in the road
Chalton Green Were the dragons teeth needed on the green? One quote had been received
Storrington Road – inc LEAP and MUGA - to receive an update on the replacement fencing – the replacement fencing work is scheduled for early April
Windmill View – Sports and Community Centre A mature oak tree in the vicinity of the Community Centre needs some attention. The review of the plant room equipment and systems at the Centre was still ongoing. With regards to the kitchen ducting, it had been established that all that is required is to inspect, and if necessary, to clean the filters. The Council had been advised that the ducting did not need to have cleaning vents installed.
Windmill View - Open Spaces – to receive an update on the installation of the Dragons Teeth The additional dragons teeth had been installed on the top field just before the travellers arrived. They had probably prevented the travellers from getting access to the field but they had removed one. This had been replaced.
St James Place (Down Farm Park) – Phase 1 area
Another landscape audit will be required when the developers advise that the outstanding work has been completed.

46/19TO RECEIVE WORKING PARTY / COMMITTEE REPORTS:

To receive Planning Committee minutes: The minutes of the last meeting had been circulated and duly accepted. The next meeting was scheduled for Wednesday 3rd April
Any Other reports /updates: Cllr White had attended the SEHLPG the first speaker, Jasmin Myhill works as customer and community adviser for Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, responsible for distributing electricity and can help with medical needs during a power cut. She has been invited to attend a future Council meeting. The second speaker talked about Exploring the Government's latest guidance on prescribing. There had been government consultations on medicines which should no longer be prescribed routinely by the NHS - with many now available either over the counter or available to buy more easily in supermarkets. Some medicines have also been proven to be relatively ineffective or potentially harmful and so NHS England has been working with CCGs to ensure medicines are prescribed effectively. Medicines management teams have been working with practices to identify areas of improvement. This includes working with patients that have been identified where medicines could be stopped or changed without causing any harm and often improving patient care. The team has also been visiting care homes to review medication of residents. It was emphasised that patient care is at the centre and no medicines will be stopped under prescription if it deemed best for them. Work is being done to educate people on the benefits of going to see a community pharmacist. Further information available on the CCG website.
Cllr Foster had attended the EHAPTC meeting and the HALC executive meeting during the past month - reports duly submitted to members

The meeting closed at 9.10 p.m.

The next meeting is the Annual General Meeting and is scheduled for Tuesday 14th May 2019 – later than normal due to the elctions

THESE ARE A TRUE ACCOUNT OF THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING

ORDERS FOR PAYMENT
2nd APRIL 2019

Payments made since the last meeting:

PAYMENT METHOD

PAYEE

GROSS

VAT

NETT

SERVICES

BACS

HOME START BUTSER (5606)

   300.00

 

   300.00

DONATION

5607

VWV

6107.80

 1000.60

5107.20

VARIOUS LEGAL FEES

BACS

BRITISH GAS – SJP PAVILION

     86.61

        4.12

     82.49

SJP PAVILION GAS BILL

BACS

CLANFIELD PARISH INSITITUTE

     54.00

 

     54.00

MEMORIAL HALL HIRE

BACS

1ST CLASS ACCTS

     42.00

        7.00

     35.00

PAYROLL MANAGEMENT FEE

BACS

BRITISH GAS

     31.33

        1.49

     29.84

ALLOTMENT BUILDING ELECTRICITY BILL

BACS

COWAN CONSULTANCY

3120.00

   520.00

 2600.00

CONSULTANCY FEES

BACS

SEW MADE FOR YOU

  674.23

 

   674.23

BALANCE FOR THE SJP PAVILION CURTAINS

BACS

TOTAL APPLIANCE REPAIR

  779.00

   129.83

   649.17

BOWLS CLUB  - FRIDGE ETC

D. CARD

CASTLE WATER

        7.65

 

       7.65

PEEL PARK PAVILION

D. CARD

M. ISAAC

    524.00

 

   524.00

BOWLS COLLECTORS

BACS

SCS FOUNDATION

  2000.00

 

 2000.00

RELEASE OF FUNDS AS AGREED DUE TO EXCESSIVE UTILITY BILLS  AT THE C. CENTRE

BACS

CLLR BANNELL

    140.25

 

    140.25

EXPENSES AND PURCHASES MADE

BACS

BLENDWORTH CENTRE

    343.20

      57.20

    286.00

STEET CLEANING

BACS

M I BONE

13798.78

 2299.80

11498.98

SJP WORKS

BACS

M I BONE

  8496.25

 1416.06

  7080.29

SJP WORKS

BACS

B FOSTER

    111.10

 

    111.10

EXPENSES/ BOWLS PURCHASES

BACS

OCS GROUP

    300.96

     50.16

    250.80

PLAY EQUIPMENT INSPECTIONS

BACS

A B D PLUMBING

    144.00

     24.00

    120.00

BOWLS CLUB INSTALL DISHWASHER

D CARD

RIGBY TAYLOR

      81.60

     13.60

      68.00

CHEMICALS FOR BOWLS GREEN

D. CARD

NISBETS

  5272.49

   878.74

  4393.75

BOWLS CLUB ORDER FOR PAVILION (partial refund due)

D. CARD

NISBETS

    479.90

     79.98

    399.92

BOWLS CLUB – TABLES FOR PAVILION

D. CARD

CASTLE WATER

        8.58

 

        8.58

SLM BILL

 

April payments presented:

BACS

MRS DIANE DUFFY

 xxxxxxx

 

 xxxxxxx

CLERKS MARCH SALARY

BACS

MRS DIANE DUFFY

     79.00

 

     79.00

CLERKS MARCH EXPENSES

BACS   

MRS EMMA BARRITT

   xxxxxx

 

   xxxxxxx

ASSISTANT CLERKS MARCH SALARY

BACS

MRS EMMA BARRITT

     10.00

 

     10.00

ASSISTANT CLERKS MARCH EXPENSES

BACS

HMRC

    296.08

 

   296.08

PAYE AND NI

5608

BROXAP

    390.00

     65.00

   325.00

2 X LITTER BINS FOR THE BOWLS AREA

5609

BROXAP

    120.00

     20.00

   100.00

2 BIN LINERS FOR PEEL PARK BIN

5610

PORTSMOUTH CITY COUNCIL

    228.62

     38.11

   190.51

SIGNS

5611

VIKING DIRECT

      40.14

       6.69

     33.45

PRINTER INK / STATIONARY

BACS

BLENDWORTH CENTRE

    343.20

     57.20

   286.00

LITTER PICKING

BACS

SERENITY DIGITAL

    180.00

     50.00

   130.00

WEBSITE HOSTING/RETAINER

5612

IDVERDE

    859.25

   143.21

   716.04

BIN EMPTYING – JAN - MAR

5613

G. ANDREWS

    210.00

 

   210.00

POWER WASH MOSS - PLAY SURFACES – SOUTH LANE MEADOW

5614

GLEAMING AND CLEANING GROUP LTD

    294.00

 

    294.00

SJP SPORTS PAVILION DEEP CLEAN

5615

G. ANDREWS

    448.00

 

    448.00

VARIOUS WORKS AS REQUESTED – JAN TO APRIL

BACS

M I BONE BUILDERS

  1086.48

    181.08

    905.40

SHED BASE FOR SJP

BACS

M I BONE BUILDERS

  5815.20

    969.20

  4846.00

PATH/RAMP

BACS

M I BONE BUILDERS

  7880.40

  1313.40

  6567.00

COMPLETION OF DRAINAGE WORKS SJP

BACS

M I BONE BUILDERS

21240.88

  3540.15

17700.73

BALANCE FOR OVERFLOW CAR PARK WORKS SJP

DD

SALVUS TRUST

      24.00

         4.00

      20.00

PENSION ADMINISTRATION

BACS

SPORTSAFE

 7500.00

 

 7500.00

INTERIM INVOICE PAYMENT - CSCF

BACS

M. STANNING

   225.00

 

    225.00

PAVILION CLEANING

Home Start Butser –  the chq 5606 was cancelled and the payment duly made by BACS

Transfers of £60,000  have been made during the past month

There are further o/s payments to be made – I will need to transfer funds from one of the savings accounts – Co-operative seems to pay the least interest , I think that £40,000 should be enough – the first precept payment will be received this month but not until later

Is it agreed that all regular payments due can be made at the beginning of May including the precepted increase in pay for the Clerk and Assistant Clerk

All meeting minutes