Meeting minutes

Meeting details

  • Date: 1st October 2019
  • Duration: 19:00 - 21:30
  • Location: Memorial Hall Blue Room


Meeting minutes:

119/19TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were received from Cllr D. Harris

120/19TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Cllr D’este Hoare, Cllr Clarke , Cllr Hurst and Cllr Coffre as South Lane Meadow Trustees; Cllr White as Chairman of the Patients Participation Group; Cllr Clarke as a Trustee of the Memorial Hall and for agenda item 6 (b); Cllr Collins and Cllr Foster for agenda item 14 (f) – these were all non pecuniary interests.

121/19TO AGREE THE MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd September 2019 had been circulated. It was RESOLVED that they be duly signed as a correct record.

At this point Cllr Foster announced that following an application to HALC’s Village of the Year competition –– the Parish Council had won the Community Facilities category with regard to the Bowls facilities. A plaque and a cheque for £100 had been received – the plaque was duly presented to the Bowls Club Chairman who was in attendance at the meeting and it was duly agreed to donate 50% of the winnings to the Club. Mr Trippick the Bowls Club Chairman, thanked the Council, in particular Cllr Foster, for making the application and suggested that the club would construct a pyramid of surplus bowls and place the plaque on the top.

122/19TO OPEN THE MEETING TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO ALLOW THEM TO ADDRESS QUESTIONS TO THE PARISH

Meeting Closed at 7.05 p.m.
Mr Trippick referred to item 14 (f) (ii) on the agenda stating that the bowls club had received quotations for remedial works to the paved patio in front of the folding doors which lead from the pavilion to the bowling green but it was stated in response that the developers had been asked to address the issues raised – the 3 bowls club representatives left the meeting at this point;

A question was raised as to when HCC would be carrying out the proposed accessibility works in the village – there were currently no schedule of works available and the latest information was that the works would commence by the end of the current financial year – County Cllr Mocatta was asked to try to ascertain an update. He did confirm that the allocated funds were ring fenced for the proposed works.

Meeting reconvened 7.10 p.m.
No members of the public remained

123/19TO RECEIVE COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS MONTHLY REPORTS

Apologies were received from District Councillor Moon

County Cllr Mocatta reported that Clanfield Junior School are trying to raise funds to repair their swimming pool. There are no funds available from HCC. The PTA is hoping to gather support for a fund- raising campaign. This would be a decision for the Headmistress.

County Cllr Mocatta also reported that any highway issues, such as flooding, potholes or problems with drainage ironwork, should be reported on line to HCC – the system is working well - and he mentioned the launch of the Hampshire 2050 plan. Concluding his report, County Cllr Mocatta said that he would be attending the opening of the new infant school classroom at Petersgate School on Monday 7th October at 4 p.m. and he would be giving a talk at the Clanfield Online meeting on 8th October.

District Cllr Agate reported that the latest community meeting with representatives from the three southern Parishes and the police etc had gone well with the main focus being Anti Social Behaviour – people were
urged to report crime on 101; there were currently scam warnings regarding people knocking on doors and telephoning. District Cllr Agate also reported that there is to be a speed indicator sited in Chalton Lane and other localities in the village were being considered – the indicator has to be moved every three weeks. Other sites were also being considered for the Speed-watch group to carry out their work. District Cllr Agate also mentioned that the new bin collection calendar had 3 errors in the collection dates.

Cllr Foster said he would forward the weekly police crime reports to members. There was discussion concerning the danger of young cyclists and pedestrians suddenly emerging onto Green Lane from the “staggered “ entrance / exit to the Windmill View estate close to its boundary with St James Place. As this is controlled by the Management Company of the Windmill View development, concerns would need to be reported to the Management Company’s agents, Gateway.

A question was asked as to when the fence around the Village Pond in Chalton Lane would be replaced – this was being considered by HCC as part of the accessibility study – dredging work was scheduled for the pond during the half term week after which it was hoped the fence would be repaired.

Cllr Mocatta left the meeting at this point

124/19TO RECEIVE PROGRESS REPORTS:

Down Farm Barn Project
Cllr Clarke reported that the asbestos had been removed from the dairy outbuilding leaving it safe to access and with a much better idea of the condition of that building and the useable space within it. A meeting had been held with the architectural advisers to discuss the public consultation on the proposed plans – to be scheduled in the next few weeks. An updated information leaflet is being finalised and will be printed at a cost of £300 for 5000 copies – to be distributed to all village households and may include an information flyer advertising the public consultation. A budget request from the Down Farm Barn Working Group will be submitted for consideration in relation to next year’s precept. A quantity surveyor has been appointed through the architectural advisers to provide costings for the restoration project and the outcome of the s106 application for the roof and fence repairs is still awaited. Cllr Clarke thanked local residents and the efforts of the local farmer in assisting with the delivery of five bags of donated flints. A proposal for a potential art project, part of which would be aimed at improving the appearance of the boundary fencing to the Down Farm Barn site, would be covered by the Chairman later in the meeting.

St James Place (Down Farm Park) - Proposed transfer of Phases 2 and 3 and suitability / purchase of allotment storage chests
The Chairman reported that the developer should be commencing work on the landscaping of the Phase 2 area (also remedial landscaping works to the Phase 1 area) very shortly. The newly seeded grass areas on the embankments are growing and have improved the appearance of the area. No draft legal documentation for the Phase 2 transfer (or for amendments that are required to the Phase 1 transfer) had yet been received but was expected.

Concerns had been raised with regards to the lack of fencing around the childrens play area - in particular, this would mean that users of the slide would come off straight onto the pathway – EHDC have included this on their list of concerns.

The one allotment storage chest purchased had now been built and was considered satisfactory for the proposed allotments – further chests would be purchased at a cost of £90 each once the transfer had been finalised – they would need to be secured to the ground.

With regard to the sports pitches (Phase 3), there would appear to be a problem with the levels and drainage. This had been mentioned to the developer. There have been 2 meetings with a representative of Hampshire Football Association who had considered the pitches to be unsatisfactory. The Chairman reported that there would only be fencing provided by the developer on 2 sides of the sports pitch area, which are bordered by steep embankments, which would cause a potential issue with the emerging dog policy.

Digital mapping of the Council’s land and property holdings
The Chairman reported that this had now been completed. All the maps would now be uploaded onto the Parish Council’s website with the exception of the Down Farm Park and Barn sites. These would be added in 2020 when all the transfers at Down Farm Park (St James Place) have been completed.

Byelaw Review and EHDC Dog Control Consultation
It was RESOLVED that this review would be finalised in the New Year when, it was hoped, the EHDC Dog Policy and the Phase 2 transfer at Down Farm Park (St James Place) will have been concluded and up-to- date information would be available.

125/19TO RECEIVE CORRESPONDENCE LIST

Email correspondence regarding the Speed-watch indicator – following a meeting with representatives of Rowlands Castle and Horndean Parish Councils and subsequent advice on the way forward it is considered that each Parish should grant the sum of £1000 (as CPC agreed at the Sept. Meeting) to the Speed-watch group once they have a constitution and bank account – thus saving any issues with regards to which parish owns/insures/stores it etc.

Health and Safety concerns raised with HCC via Cllr Mocatta regarding the Chalton Lane pond fence.

Clanfield Online Autumn Network meeting – 8th October.

Request from a resident for a key to enable access with a mobility scooter into Sunderton Meadow to walk their dog – it was suggested that RADAR keys be looked into.

Bowls Club – Christmas tree location.

Clanfield Memorial Hall AGM 18th October

Planning enquiry regarding the HCC owned land in South Lane – duly responded.

EHDC – Meet the Funders; Community Network meeting; SOB event scheduled for 28th Sept – postponed due to weather.

Hampshire Constabulary Rural Crime Event 06/10/19

HALC – Policy consultation E-Briefing 10-19 – 5G Mobile Coverage In Rural Areas; Communication Awards; County Executive Agenda September 2019 and Minutes 22nd June 2019.

Village of the Year Presentation - Wednesday 25th September 2019; Policy E-briefing PC11-19 – NAO Audit Code of Practice Part Two; Equestrians in Hampshire.

Community First – First Aid at Work course – to be attended by Cllr White and Cllr Collins.

– Cllr Foster would like to attend the Marketing Matters course.

Winchester City council – Our Local Plan.

South Downs NP – Newsletter and Parish Workshop dates / SDNP Affordable Housing SPD.

126/19TO CONSIDER A PROPOSAL FROM HCC FOR A ROAD CROSSING POINT IN GREEN LANE OPPOSITE THE COMMUNITY CENTRE

Following a request from a local resident and the danger of young people crossing Green Lane at this point, the matter of a possible road crossing facility had been raised with HCC who had now proposed a potential dropped kerb solution. It was felt that a site meeting should be held with HCC to discuss this further – Clerk to arrange.

127/19TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE SOUTH OF BUTSER COMMUNITY EVENT

Unfortunately the event proposed for 28th September had been postponed by the organisers due to the forecast of high winds and more rain which potentially could damage the surface of the bottom field – the event has been rescheduled for May 16th 2020. The events planned for inside the community centre went ahead.

128/19FINANCE:

To receive the October financial statement
The financial statement had been duly circulated to members showing the half year mark of the precept. The October statement showed a balance held of £246549.64 – this included the second tranche of the precept for 2019/2020 which had been received and it also reflected the sale of the scissor lift from the Community Centre. It was RESOLVED that the statement be duly accepted.

Members raised concern regarding the reimbursement that was still due to the Parish Council from the Sports and Community Centre for the 2018/2019 insurance premium relating to that property and its inventory. It was agreed that this should be followed up and that an invoice should be issued for reimbursement of the 2019/2020 premium which was also now due.

To receive and agree Orders for Payment
Payments totaling £4118.84 had been made since the last meeting and payments totalling £10741.54 were presented for payment – the majority of which were payments to be made by BACS. It was RESOLVED that all payments would be duly paid/accepted.

To receive an update on the Annual Audit
The annual audit had now been completed and the only matter to raise was with regards to an updated risk assessment – this would be in place for next year and updated each year – the audit notices were on the website and the noticeboards. The internal audit for the first 6 months of the current financial year was due to be carried out the following week

To consider a grant application from Horndean Technology College for the Older persons Christmas Luncheon
Members had received the paperwork and RESOLVED to support the event to the requested sum of £200.

To receive the notes of the FGPWG meeting held on 9 September 2019
The notes from the meeting had been circulated and were duly accepted. Cllr Foster reported that whilst the level of reserves had dipped slightly below the Council’s preferred level (which was more cautious than national guidance) some items of anticipated expenditure may not occur and some may differ.

To receive an update on applications submitted for S106 funds
Applications to EHDC from the Parish Council of £24,000 were pending decision. It was stated that the Peel Park pavilion needs attention i.e. a new kitchen and decoration – it was considered that around £5000 needs to be spent on these items. The annual boiler service was due and it was agreed that the local company who had recently and satisfactorily undertaken work for the Parish Council be approached.

129/19ASB INITIATIVE - TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE SUMMER ACTIVITIES PROGRAMME

The Chairman had circulated a written report. Members considered that the programme had been a success and that it should be repeated in future years. It was considered that the preparation work should begin as soon as possible - possibly as early as November this year - with the formation of a multi agency steering group and input from the young people themselves. Recommendations were that to engage with the “hard to reach” youngsters, all events should be based in Clanfield, that the Sports and Community Centre should be approached to be a sponsor of the events, that there should be a token charge for event tickets as it was thought that free events had caused a somewhat casual approach from some people for notifying last minute cancellations and that the steering group should seek funding to contribute to the costs. It was also suggested that a Skate Jam be held at Peel Park as this had proved a very successful event in the past.

Cllrs Clarks and Hurst stated that they would like to be involved on the steering group. The Chairman was thanked for all of his hard work in arranging the events held this year.

Cllr Coffre suggested the possibility of the Parish Council setting up a Youth Council in the village. Members agreed that this should be investigated and Cllr Coffre agreed to look into the possibilities in the coming months.

130/19TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER INITIAL PROPOSALS FOR A PUBLIC ART PROJECT

Following the Parish Council’s “in principle” support at the July meeting, the Chairman had carried out further preparatory work and he had circulated an update report to Members prior to this meeting. He emphasised community involvement and the thoughts that were emerging about the prospect of a three phase project involving different forms of art from an open air art gallery on the fencing around the Down Farm Barn site to sculpture at the same location and elsewhere and extending over a number of years. There had been initial discussions with a representative of the Arts Council concerning the possibility of grant support and other funding possibilities are also being pursued, particularly for the early stages of the project. A meeting had been arranged with a locally-based community arts organisation with experience of working on similar projects to explore how they might be able to assist.

Members expressed their full support for the way in which the project is being progressed. Cllrs Clarke and Hurst said that they would like to work with the Chairman on this and that was agreed.

131/19TO REPORT ON THE PROPOSED CLANFIELD COMMUNITY CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS

This will be hosted by the Sports and Community Centre on Friday 13th December. Clanfield Online have made a donation. This year there will be the Salvation Army band, both schools would be contributing, there will be a Christmas Market in the Sports Hall. Santa’s Grotto, a "create your wish list" area for children to write to Santa prior to seeing him, an outside Hog Roast, a bar and mince pies and mulled wine will also be available. This year all money raised from the raffles and a large percentage from the Bar proceeds will be donated to Petersgate Infant School (towards their new mini bus) and Clanfield Junior School. (towards keeping their swimming pool). The Parish Council had previously allocated £500 from the precept towards the event which this was duly ratified. Some members expressed regret that this event had moved from its traditional location at the Village Pond but it was recognised that it had had to move on Police advice from a health and safety point of view.

132/19PROPERTY MANAGEMENT:

To receive the notes of the PMWG meeting held on 9 September 2019.
The notes from the meeting had been circulated and were duly accepted.

To consider draft Tender documentation, including a detailed specification of work, for the tendering of the Council’s Grounds Maintenance Contract
The Chairman reported that the grounds maintenance tender had to be advertised on the Government’s Contracts Finder site and also in the local press. The first draft of the documentation had been circulated to members and further work was in hand to finalise it before Monday 14 October when the Contracts Finder advertisement would be published to start the procedure. The closing date for the receipt of tenders would be Noon on 18th November giving time to review prior to setting the draft precept. Members expressed their approval to the arrangements that were being made and agreed that the Chairman and Cllr Foster should complete the documentation. It was noted that the contract value, to be specified on Contracts Finder, would be £60,000 to £75,000 for a 3 year contract and £100,000 to £125,000 for a 5 year contract.

Windmill View - Bottom Field etc - To consider the proposed tree and hedge replacement works and their estimated cost.
The Chairman and Cllr D’este Hoare had met with the contractor and arrangements had been made for the work to be carried out in November. The six replacement trees had been ordered by the Parish Council from excellent suppliers at a concessionary cost of £25 per tree. The contractor would be supplying the replacement hedge plants for the periphery of the bottom field and the contractor had updated his previous estimate to allow for additional tree and ground preparation works, especially weeding prior to the replacement hedge planting. The total cost of these works would now be £2320 + VAT. This was agreed. It was suggested that the residents association be informed of what would be happening and to urge vigilance with regards to any further vandalism.

South Lane Meadow – including car park
It was reported that the car park was becoming unsafe with the surface holes becoming very large – a quotation had been received for tarmacing the area but this was felt to be inappropriate in a rural car park – one quotation had been received for a limestone surface at a cost of £3,800. Members requested that further estimates be obtained and it was considered that french drainage should also be installed to alleviate any flooding issues.

Storrington Road – inc LEAP and MUGA – Green Lane tree surgery; arrangements for Green Lane hedge trimming and fencing this Autumn; also clearance of nearby Duncton Road land
The Green Lane tree surgery would hopefully take place very soon. Final paperwork between the two parties was awaited to enable the road closure to proceed; the hedge trimming at the Storrington Road play area and LEAP area to proceed at a cost of £129.60; the land at Duncton Road had been cleared and the site vastly improved.

St James Place (Down Farm Park) - Phase 1
(i) To consider a number of current and future issues, including land ownership, outstanding landscaping, Autumn hedge management and weed control of paths / cycleways
Ongoing issues with regards to land Transfer errors - one section of land would need to be returned to the developer as it is now the subject of a s38 agreement between HCC and the developer and another small piece of land which is no longer part of the s38 agreement needs to be transferred to the Parish Council. Autumn hedge management needs to be undertaken at the Chalton Lane / Bilberry Avenue junction. Consideration is being given as to how best to deal with weed control of paths and cycleways.
(ii) To receive a report on snagging issues at the Sports Pavilion and the estimated cost of remedial works.
As stated at the last meeting a list of defects had been received from the Bowls Club with regards to the pavilion and its patio paving – these had been raised with the developer who would be addressing the issues.

133/19TO RECEIVE PLANNING COMMITTEE AND OTHER REPORTS:

To Receive Planning Committee Minutes
The Minutes of the most recent meetings had been circulated and duly signed. The next Planning Committee meeting was scheduled for Tuesday 8th October.

Any other reports / updates
Cllr White reported that an architect had produced draft plans for the Clanfield Surgery loft conversion works which would mean the office staff being upstairs – the cost of the renovations would be around £300,000 – £100,000 from developers contribution and £200,000 from the surgery; Doctors will no longer carry out home visits - a nurse or a paramedic will attend if a home visit is required. Cllr White will send members the notes from the Cowplain South of Butser meeting.

A quotation had been received to replace the rocker handle on the equipment in Peel Park - £166 + VAT to supply and fit – it was agreed that the item be ordered supply only and arrangement would be made to fit it.

ORDERS FOR PAYMENT

1st October 2019

Payments made since September meeting:

PAYMENT METHOD

PAYEE

GROSS

VAT

NETT

SERVICES

BACS

ACORN SERVICES

  250.01

    41.67

   208.34

COMMUNITY BUILDING WORKS

DD

SALVUS TRUST

  108.45

 

   108.45

PENSION CONTRIBUTION

BACS

BILOSHISKY / FUNK FORMAT

  898.02

 

   898.02

ASB EVENTS

BACS

BLENDWORTH CENTRE

  374.40

    62.40

   312.00

STREET CLEANING

BACS

OCS GROUP

  312.96

    52.16

   260.80

PLAY EQUIPMENT INSPECTIONS

BACS

R GEROLD

    30.00

  

     30.00

REFUND OF ALLOTMENT DEPOSIT

BACS

F. MACGILLIVRAY

    30.00

 

     30.00

REFUND OF ALLOTMENT DEPOSIT

BACS

BARRATT HOMES

1420.00

  236.67

 1183.33

RELEASE OF FUNDS FOR TAPS ETC (ON PREVIOUS LIST)

BACS

ARBROOK TREE CARE

  650.00

 

   650.00

TREE REMOVAL AND TIDY OF DUNCTON ROAD AREA AS AGREED

DD

IINFORMATION COMMISSIONERS OFFICE

    35.00

 

     35.00

ANNUAL REGISTRATION RENEWAL

DD

BRITISH GAS

    10.00

 

     10.00

ALLOTMENT ELECTRICITY – MONTHLY DD PAYMENT

 

October payments presented:

PAYMENT METHOD

PAYEE

GROSS

VAT

NETT

SERVICES

BACS

MRS DIANE DUFFY

 xxxxxx

 

 xxxxxx

CLERKS SEPTEMBER SALARY

BACS

MRS DIANE DUFFY

    92.67

 

     92.67

CLERKS SEPTEMBER EXPENSES inc purchases

BACS

MRS EMMA BARRITT

  xxxxx

 

   xxxxx

ASST. CLERKS SEPTEMBER SALARY

BACS

MRS EMMA BARRITT

    23.00

 

     23.00

ASST. CLERKS SEPTEMBER EXPENSES inc phone top up/stamps etc

BACS

HMRC

  289.43

 

   289.43

PAYE AND NI

BACS

GOSSINGTON AND ELLIOTT

    42.00

     7.00

     35.00

PAYROLL ADMINISTRATION

BACS

PEAR TECHNOLOGY

  678.00

 113.00

   565.00

DIGITAL MAPPING SERVICES

BACS

PLAYSAFE PLAYGROUNDS

3121.20

 520.20

 2601.00

PLAY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS – PEEL PARK

BACS

IDVERDE

  859.25

 143.21

   716.04

BIN EMPTYING – JULY - SEPT

BACS

RECOGNITION EXPRESS

  159.72

   26.62

   133.10

ID BADGES + TWO NEW NAMEPLATES

BACS

CIA

    61.26

   10.21

     51.05

P.P PAVILION FIRE EXT SERVICE – NEW EXTINGUISHER

BACS

B. FOSTER

    66.60

 

     66.60

TRAVEL EXPENSES VARIOUS MEETINGS

BACS

PKF LITTLEJOHN

  960.00

 160.00

   800.00

ANNUAL AUDIT FEES – HIGHER AMOUNT DUE TO NEXT BRACKET EXPENDITURE

BACS

M. STANNING

  231.25

 

   231.25

P.P. PAVILION CLEANING

BACS

SERENITY DIGITAL

  180.00

   30.00

  150.00

WEBSITE HOSTING

BACS

JETO ASBESTOS REMOVAL

 1596.00

  266.00

 1330.00

REMOVAL OF ASBESTOS FROM THE BARN

BACS

J. BANNELL

   210.00

 

   210.00

REIMBURSEMENT OF PAYMENTS MADE FOR THE SUMMER ACTIVITIES PROGRAMME – RECEIPTS DULY SUBMITTED

DD

SALVUS TRUST

  108.45

 

  108.45

PENSION CONTRIBUTION (4/10)

DD

SALVUS TRUST

   24.00

      4.00

    20.00

PENSION ADMINISTRATION (4/10)

 

The payment to JETO has not yet been issued as they addressed it to Goddard Partnership – once received with correct billing address I will release payment

£15,000  has been transferred from Business Reserve to Current Account during September – at least a further £10000  will need to be transferred to cover Octobers payments

Are all of the above payments agreed including those made by BACS

All meeting minutes